The way we use water today is not sustainable. We’re here to change that. Working at Orbital means using innovation, teamwork and passion to help address one of the world’s most pressing challenges. We need to stop wasting water, and the best way to do that is to use less to begin with. To get people on board, we’ve got to do it in a way that doesn’t compromise ease-of-use and comfort. That’s your job in a nutshell. Come join a diverse team of experts, bring your skills and let’s get to work!
The idea was born in an academic project in collaboration with NASA, and then developed into a working product that enables you to shower in full comfort saving up to 90% compared to traditional showers, and 80% of the energy consumed to heat the water. Orbital Systems was founded by Mehrdad Mahdjoubi in 2012 and is backed by leading investors including Skype founder Niklas Zennström, and leaders from Tesla, Sony, H&M and more.
Our backend stack is serverless and written in Node.js and Python. Everything is hosted on AWS and deployed with CI/CD-pipelines.
Our frontend stack is React-based using next.js for web apps and react-native for our Android/iOS app. Some experience and desire to contribute on the frontend when needed is a big plus.
At ORBITAL SYSTEMS, you will participate in design, development, and implementation of new features on our cloud platform. You will identify and drive IoT platform utilisation service improvements and also participate in the analysis, usability and the engagement model of the IoT platform. Continuing to remain current on the latest IoT technology is key for this role, and you will work with product management and engineering on a daily basis in order to define requirements and development, taking ownership of multiple systems from development to deployment.
You have a real desire and aptitude to work in a fast-paced growth environment and be part of a unique journey. To succeed, you need to have a proven track record of building high-quality and efficient applications.
Essential skills and experience
- 3+ years of commercial software engineering experience in a fast-paced environment
- Strong experience of building customer facing products on the cloud such as AWS and familiar with cloud related technologies
- Excellent debugging and problem solving skills
- Great English communication skills (written and speaking)
- Confidence in own ideas while being open for discussion with others
- Experience with Git and the Github workflow
- Knowledge of Clean Code practices
- Comfort with creating and consuming web based REST APIs
- Solid understanding of NoSQL databases
- Experience of creating services with scalability, high availability, high security and reliability in mind
Nice to have
- Startup & Agile development experience
- Experience working with MQTT or similar IoT communication protocols
- Interest in design and experience developing applications with a rich and innovative user experience
- Interest in the possibilities and challenges of physical product development
- Interest in data science
You will have the opportunity to be part of something unique, and build a rapidly scaling business from the ground up. We also offer:
- Career development within a fast-growing organization
- Generous equity options – own the success you help create
- A company where everyone knows why they get out of bed in the mornings
If you are interested to join the movement and ready to make a difference in how we are using water in the world, please send in your CV (and an optional Cover Letter).
Apply for this job